New Regulations for Visa Extension in Thailand

August 29, 2014


The Thai Immigration have released an update to regulations regarding applications for a temporary stay in Thailand (No. 327/2557). The overview is that 48 countries with a visa exemption stamp can now get a 30 day extension for 1,900 Baht. This will, for example, allow tourists from G7 countries to stay in Thailand for 60 days without a visa. In other significant news, those on education visas will now have to leave Thailand once a year to apply for a new visa.

Click for full size
click for bigger image

The following is the official English translation of the new regulations that were posted on the Immigration website. Click here for the original in Thai.

New Regulation for Visa Extension (Effective from 29th August 2014)

According to the new regulation for extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom of Thailand which will be effective from 29th August 2014, some regulations have been changed as follows:

1. The aliens granted Visa Exemptions for 30 days stay permit will get extension of stay for one time no longer than 30 days from the expired date.

2. In case that the application for extension of temporary stay is not approved due to incomplete qualifications and the alien has got only 7 days extension of stay in order to leave the Kingdom, such alien is not able to appeal for re-consideration of non-permission.

3. For the reason of study in a private educational institution particularly for a non-school system, each permission of stay shall be granted for not longer than 90 days but the total permitted period of stay for this reason consecutively shall not exceed one year from the date of entry into the Kingdom.

4. For the reason of performing duties in a public charity organization, a foundation, a non-government organization, an association, a foreign chamber of commerce, in case of no certification letter by the relevant government department, each permission of stay shall be granted for not longer than 90 days but the total permitted period of stay for this reason consecutively shall not exceed one year from the date of entry into the Kingdom.


From 29th August 2014, the Immigration Bureau will allow citizens of 48 countries and Hong Kong SAR to get a 30-day extension of their stay in Thailand after the expiry of their normal period of stay. It will apply to visitors holding travel documents of Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong SAR, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Malaysia, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Poland, Qatar, Singapore, Slovak, Slovenia, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, the United States of America, and Vietnam. The application process will cost 1,900 Baht per person. No further extensions will be allowed. If the application is denied, visitors will have to leave the kingdom within seven days after the expiry of the normal period.

514 Responses to New Regulations for Visa Extension in Thailand

  1. Giusi on May 2, 2016 at 11:22 pm

    Hi everyone,
    has someone recently experienced to come back to Thailand by land after spending 3 days to Laos? They change the rules continuously!! My 30 days permit expired some days ago and it wasn’t possible to extend it anymore, but I needed 15 days more before leaving definitely. And visa runs are no more allowed. So I decided to go to Laos for 3 days and then come back. I called the Immigration Office and they told me no problem if you spend at least 2/3 days in Laos, but yesterday crossing the border the Immigration man there wasn’t sure at all. Has someone done the same recently (last 1/2 months) without having problems?
    Previously I entered to Thailand on December getting the free 30 days, then did a regular one month extension, did a visa run, then travelled to Myanmar for 3 weeks and when coming back had new 30 days and did a,new regular extension of one month.
    Thanks a lot!!

    • Mary Antonette Liyesa on June 28, 2017 at 4:00 pm

      Hi i just have a question. If i exit in myanmar and back to thailand again how many day? Can I just stay in myanmar 2days only and back to thailand again?

      • cam on August 14, 2017 at 2:55 pm

        You can only travel via land and Burma twice in one year, then you have to go to immigration office for thirty day extension, which can be done only once, then you have to leave the kingdom and return by air for a further visa

  2. May on May 4, 2016 at 1:38 pm

    Hi Richard, We are Australian passport holders and just realized our flight and hotel bookings means we will be overstaying Phuket by one day (we were so foolish and didn’t know they count arrival day as one day as well). Just wish to find out what you think that would be our chance that they will just fine us 500baht per person for the extra day since the new tough rules carried out in March this year? Looking forward to your advice and many thanks in advance!

    • Greg on June 18, 2016 at 2:27 pm

      They will just charge the 500 baht per person and probably cluck their tongues at you (we were 4 days over a few months ago and just paid the fine).

      • Richard Barrow on June 24, 2016 at 9:37 am

        I presume because the stamps in your passport showed you as a normal tourist and also because you surrendered yourself at the airport? Their policy is “good guys in, bad guys out”. You are obviously a “good guy” so no need to worry.

  3. Ian Bradshaw on May 5, 2016 at 3:11 pm

    Hi Richard,

    I am married to a Thai National and we both live in Thailand. I though, work in Beijing and plan to travel home to see her during my vacations from work.

    I intend to apply for my Non-Immgrant Type O visa whilst in China, but am just seeking clarification as to the documentation that the Royal Thai Consulate in Beijing requires and also the period of time that the Visa would be valid for.

    Many thanks and kind regards


    • Richard Barrow on May 7, 2016 at 8:07 am

      Sorry, but have you tried contacting the Royal Thai Consulate? Any information I give you will be from their website.

      • Ian Bradshaw on June 15, 2016 at 5:50 am

        Hi Richard.
        Just to let you now that I cannot apply for my Non-Imm Type O (married to Thai National visa) in China as I don’t hold a local residence certificate here. Am flying back to Thailand next week and will start the process again there.

        May I ask if you could please clarify everything I will require to do this as I’m not sure if there has been any changes to the rules?

        Very many thanks

        • Richard Barrow on June 15, 2016 at 6:59 am

          I haven’t heard of any changes. Though I am on a Non-B and so cannot say for sure.

  4. Gareth on May 31, 2016 at 1:53 pm

    Is it still possible to get a 30 day extension at the kanchanaburi immigration?

    • Richard Barrow on June 2, 2016 at 6:38 am

      I don’t live there, but I cannot see why not if you qualify.

  5. Marvs on June 24, 2016 at 2:50 pm

    My passport will expire in December and my non-b visa expires in September and I will apply for a 1 year extension. Will they grant me a 1 year extension considering my passport validity? Thanks

    • Richard Barrow on July 1, 2016 at 7:07 am

      Unless things have changed, you cannot transfer visas from one passport to another any more. So, my advice is to get a new one now.

  6. Claire on July 9, 2016 at 12:06 pm

    Dear Richard,

    Please can you help me? My son and I arrived in Bangkok on 5th July and got the 30 day visa on arrival. We have our own house in Hua Hin and are staying there. We are not due to leave until 18th August and we were planning on flying to Vietnam for a couple of days but having read this thread a) would they reissue another 30 days on re entry and b) is a flight necessary? Will immigration issue us another 30 days? We have in the past extended at immigration but only for 7 days. I just don’t want to risk being in trouble. Thank you for any advice you might offer.

    • Richard Barrow on July 13, 2016 at 10:50 am

      They should extend your 30 day for another 30 days.

  7. Gio on August 2, 2016 at 12:35 pm

    Dear Richard,

    I am going to the Thai immigration in a few days to have my Visa extended as it expires on 29 August.
    The visa i got was on a visa run and as such i do not have an arrival card like when i arrived here by plain.
    My concern is that i wont be able to get my visa extended without it…
    Is there a way around this or must i leave the country again ?

    • Richard Barrow on August 19, 2016 at 10:44 am

      Don’t they give arrival cards for every point of arrival? If you didn’t one that it would see that you didn’t actually cross the border properly. Was this with a visa run company? If they ask, try saying that you cannot find it.

  8. Carmen on August 20, 2016 at 11:04 am

    Hi Richard. I need to extend my stay by one day. Didn’t realise they count from day of arrival and my flight departs the day after I’m permitted to stay. Will it just be a simple fine at the airport or is that too risky? Should I rather apply for an extension?

    Thanks in advance.

    • Richard Barrow on August 21, 2016 at 8:33 am

      Lots of tourists overstay by a day or two. Just pay the fine at the airport (if less than 24 hours may be no fine). Just stay out of trouble on your last night.

  9. Mike griffiths on August 31, 2016 at 4:27 pm

    I have a multi non O visa, that runs out on the fourth sept. Recently i did a run to cambodia and my passport was stamped for 90 days, runs out in November. Can I stay legally even tho my visa is out of date ? I’m also told, if I go out and in again I will get a furthe 90 days on my passport. With my visa long out dated. Will I be able to stay, withoiut it being described as ‘overstay’ ? And, can I continue going this ad infinitum ?

  10. Carol on September 6, 2016 at 12:22 am

    I have the 30 day temporary stamp on arrival (by air) and am a US citizen. I would like to extend my stay for 14 days or 7 days at the least. Is this possible? A lot of the information I’m finding online is about how to extend a visa that was obtained in the visa holder’s home country, NOT the on arrival stamps.
    I’m not sure if this information applies to me, can you please clarify if I can even extend and how to do so? Thank you so much.

    • Richard Barrow on September 6, 2016 at 8:16 am

      You can extend the 30 day visa exemption stamp one time for another 30 days for 1,900 Baht.

      • Carol on September 6, 2016 at 10:26 am

        Thank you so much for the reply! One more question (I hope): where exactly do I go? I’m finding a lot of conflicting information about closed or under renovation offices and such online. Do you know the location of the immigration office I can definitely go to?

        • Richard Barrow on September 6, 2016 at 10:51 am

          Go to your nearest. In Bangkok it is as Chaeng Wattana. If you google Immigration and the name of the province you are staying you should find something.

  11. Sam on September 14, 2016 at 9:20 am

    I am an Indian citizen and my current tourist visa is for 60 days. I want to stay for another 30 days but as per current rule I can only extend for 7days. As an alternative can i visit Malasiya for a day and comeback Thailand will give me a fresh tourist visa?

  12. vee on September 23, 2016 at 3:16 am

    I am a UN intern currently in Thailand on an NON/ED visa. The enter/on before date is December 15th 2016. My internship is 6 months. How do I get an extension and what documents are required?

  13. Tony G on September 24, 2016 at 8:37 pm

    Hey guys,

    I’m in Thailand almost 60 days and want to get an extension.
    Trouble is it is the weekend now (saturday) and my visa is up on Monday
    Can I get an extension on the Monday?


    • Richard Barrow on September 26, 2016 at 9:24 am


  14. nora linn on October 3, 2016 at 10:44 pm

    hi ,richard
    i am AUSTRIA Travel Documentray holders.
    now my thai visa end is 10 jun 2012.
    my passport is expries date is 04.06.2013
    now i overstay in thailand,how can i pay visa fine.
    can i back home, can i do ?

  15. nora linn on October 3, 2016 at 11:02 pm

    iam in thailand overstay,holder of travel documentary .
    NOW Expires visa over 3yr and 4yr expires passport book
    how can i do ,get information.

  16. Grace on October 6, 2016 at 1:23 am

    Hi. I need help. I’m currently working in BKK. I have a work permit and Non B visa. I was just informed by our HR that I need to exit to fix my visa because they didn’t send a complete documents before. I have nl clue what they’re talking about. It wasn’t explained clearly. Problem is, I’m leaving on the 11th for a 1 month vacation in US. It’s already Oct 6th. Can I just process everything in US or do I really need to exit to Laos? Thanks

  17. mark on November 30, 2016 at 12:38 am

    does anyone know if russian passport holders can get a 30 day extension after they enter the country on a 30 day visa exemption?

  18. Munro on December 3, 2016 at 3:12 am

    Good day,

    I will be leaving Thailand indefinitely for a family emergency. However I have a valid non b and work permit will I have any issues at the airport?

    Kind regards

    • Richard Barrow on December 3, 2016 at 5:22 pm

      Strictly speaking you are supposed to cancel them, but if you’re not coming back you won’t have a problem.

  19. beth on December 29, 2016 at 8:54 am

    hello richard.. i have a non ed visa for our intership here in thailand for 3 months. And i wanted to go home because i cannot take it here living away from my family. I am allowed to fly back to our country eventhough i didn’t finished my internship?

  20. Rehman sukhera on January 29, 2017 at 9:18 pm

    I am in Pakistan now. My visa is refused can I again apply and my fiancé help me to visa process or not

  21. jackie on February 14, 2017 at 7:28 pm

    Hi my daughter is travelling to thailand on placement for college doing scuba diving we applied for tourist visa but her return flight is for 89 days. Do we need to apply for different visa before she travels? Could she get refused entry because of return date?
    Thankimg you in advance

    • Richard Barrow on February 18, 2017 at 8:57 am

      Sorry, impossible to answer as I don’t know her visa, nationality or even travel history to Thailand.

      • Anonymous on August 18, 2017 at 12:35 pm

        If you have received SETV visa in your country. It will be valid for 60 days and can then be extended further 30 days at your local immigration in Thailand. Giving you total 90 days, perfect timing. : )

  22. Maria on February 19, 2017 at 6:36 pm

    My 60 days visa expires soon and I need to find a way to for another 30 days . I am a Greek passport holder.
    As I had a road accident I cannot fly . I am in Chiangmai at the moment . Is there any way or where to go abroad to renew my visa ?
    Thank you

    • Richard Barrow on February 20, 2017 at 6:44 am

      Get a doctor’s certificate to say you cannot fly and then visit your local Immigration.

  23. mike fox on February 25, 2017 at 6:39 pm

    Hi Richard
    I flew into bangkok from the UK and received my 30 day stamp however I need to stay for 15 days more. Can I go to immigration and pay 1900 baht or do I need to leave the country and return. I assume you can still do this by land border?

    Your response is much appreciated.


    • Richard Barrow on February 26, 2017 at 7:38 pm

      You can renew one time at your local immigration office. You should get a further 30 days.

  24. Daya2016 on March 16, 2017 at 10:16 am

    Hi. I have a query. I am an Indian citizen staying in pattaya and my 15 day VISA on arrival expires on 19th which falls on Sunday. Can someone please assist me and tell me if I go to extend the same on Friday? Also will I get it till 26th as I want to stay maximum time here before departing for India

  25. Wayne on April 5, 2017 at 1:29 am

    Hi just want to enquire n clarify whether if my 60days visa gonna end u
    In few days time, which country could could I go to like etc Laos or Cambodia?

  26. Samantha on May 7, 2017 at 9:55 am

    Hi Richard,

    Thank you for the above info and I’m hoping you can help me. My boyfriend and I are coming to the end of our 30 day UK tourist visa (we arrived via air), and are currently on Phi Phi. We’re trying to work out the best way to get a 30 day extension; would it be to go to the Immigration Office in Krabi, or to do a visa run to Ranong? And would it complicate things if I no longer have my immigration slip (a hostel that we stayed at misplaced it)? We also don’t have proof of onward travel, but if we need that we’re happy to book a flight at short notice to have something to show.

    Any advice you can provide would be really helpful.

    Thanks so much,


  27. Billy on May 23, 2017 at 12:35 pm

    Hi there,

    I first arrived in Bangkok, Thailand March 28th with the normal 30-day visa. I’m from the states. I then extended my visa on April 26th in Chiang Mai. My current visa runs out on May 26th. Is it possible to get another 30-day extension in Chiang Mai or will I have to do a visa run this time? I’m completely new to this and all the information I find by google seems to be really out of date or contradicts. Kind Regards!

    • Richard Barrow on May 24, 2017 at 10:13 pm

      You can only renew this once

  28. Adil on May 25, 2017 at 5:24 pm

    Hi Richard,

    I am a British national and I plan to fly to Thailand on a 60 day tourist visa. Would i be okay with a one way ticket and then a air Asia ticket leaving the country? or will i need a return ticket? could you also let me know if a one way ticket is enough with a 60 day visa.

    I have a job lined up but have not accepted yet, i wish to decide once I am there and if all is good I will apply for a non immigrant b Visa.

  29. randy florio on June 2, 2017 at 4:41 am

    hi Richard i am a US citizen and traveling to Thailand with my Filipino wife we want to tour around Thailand for 2 or 3 months how is it we can stay without any hassles or complications when we arrive in Bangkok and they ask for exit ticket back to Philippines

  30. Leigh Ann on July 22, 2017 at 8:15 am

    Hello, I’m American, arrived in Bangkok on 01 Aug and received 30 day exempt stamp. I will renew in Chiang Mai for another 30 to take me to the end of Sep, but my flight to leave the country isn’t scheduled until 15 Sep. I know I can’t get another extension, but can I leave and return via air during the extension and be allowed to stay until 15 Sep? I’m willing to spend a long weekend in Yangon or elsewhere. Thanks for your help.

    • John Smith on July 22, 2017 at 1:51 pm

      It depends on your previous history.
      There is now a directive in place to prevent more than two Visa exempt entries at land border crossings within a 12 month period.
      There is currently no restriction by air.

      Ensure you are carrying 20,000 baht in cash when applying for your 30 day extension in CM, and when arriving back at the airport.

      You would have been better advised to obtain a single entry Tourist Visa, allows 60 days entry and can be extended another 30 days at local Immigration.

Leave a Reply

RSS RichardBarrow