I have lost my departure card. What must I do?

June 11, 2015


One of my upcoming projects is working on a new website for Samut Prakan Immigration. I am excited about this as the immigration officials have agreed to answer any of your questions so that I can put together a FAQ page. So, feel free to post your questions in the comments below. I will then see if I can get them answered for you. However, you would need to note that some laws are up to the interpretation of individual Immigration officers. In addition, while Samut Prakan Immigration might be lenient with some things, it might not be the same elsewhere. So, please double check at your local office if in doubt.

Q 3: I have lost my departure card. What must I do?

ANSWER: The first thing you have to do is file a report at your local police station. This usually costs 20 Baht. Then go to your local Immigration and request a new departure card. There is no fine or fee, so please be polite as you are creating extra work for the officers. If you are flying out, please allow for extra time for them to process your request at airport Immigration.

Q 2: What age should my kids start doing 90 day reporting?

ANSWER: If your children live with you and you already do 90 Day reporting yourself, then there is no need for your children to do so too. However, by the time they reach the age of 15, they should start doing 90 Day Reporting themselves.

Q 1: What do I do if I lost the 90 Day Reporting slip in my passport?

ANSWER: There is no fine involved as long as you are not late. (Most Immigration offices will give you a 7 day grace period. Please double check this with your local office.) If you have lost your form, you will need to go to your local police station first to file a report. This usually costs no more than 50 Baht. Tell them the name of the form (90 Day Reporting). It might be easier for you to get a blank form from the Immigration office first to show them. Then, once you have the police report, just go to Immigration as normal before your 90 days are up. Please don’t pretend you have lost your 90 Day form just to cover up the fact that you are late. They will find out and you will then face criminal charges for filing a false report. This would be in addition to the 2,000 Baht fine for being late.

30 Responses to I have lost my departure card. What must I do?

  1. David on May 19, 2015 at 10:20 pm

    Most immigration offices and usually are both words that do not mean 100% fact.. So why don’t all immigration offices not stick to the laws they have instead of all having different..??

    • Richard Barrow on May 19, 2015 at 10:23 pm

      Aren’t courts the same? They have guidelines and things like maximum and minimum sentences. Immigration officers also have the option to cancel your visa or not give you the full extension that you expect. However, there are obviously some things they cannot change. I am just saying, some laws are open to interpretation.

  2. Jan Thulstrup on May 20, 2015 at 1:25 am

    Just something > I learned from my travels in Indonesia, The immigration there are using a Office Stapler to hook it on to one of your passport pages Usely the same page where your entre stamp is stamped. So I bought a small handy Office Stapler for the same course in Thailand and you Will never loose your form again, don’t mind the small holes they leave and then just take it out before the meeting or just leave it in Same deal.

  3. Torben Retboll on May 20, 2015 at 8:36 am

    Why does Thailand have this 90 rule? It does not serve any useful purpose. When will the 90 day rule be abolished?

  4. Chang Noi on May 20, 2015 at 10:27 am

    In the days that I still had to do 90days reporting the slip that was attached to my passport was just a reminder for myself and had no official importance at all. Maybe that has changed (I do not think so). Personally I think going to the police to report losing it will be the begin of a nightmare as the police probably do not have a clue what you are talking about.

    What is more important is your TM-card in your passport, if you loose that you might have a slight problem. Personal experience learned that at least some immigration officers are just as happy with the TM-number and they will give a new TM-card.

    Another personal advice is to copy everything … your TM-card, your entry stamp, you visa.

    And whenever you get your passport back from an immigration officer, check ..
    1. Is it your passport?
    2. Is the TM-card still there?
    3. Is the entry-stamp correct?
    4. Is your visa still valid?

    • Richard Barrow on May 20, 2015 at 1:42 pm

      Thanks for the tips. These days, when you do 90-day reporting you have to photocopy everything: photo page, visa page, visa extension, arrival card – best to keep a copy of this for yourself. As long as you have the arrival card number, it shouldn’t be the end of the world.

      • geomark on May 21, 2015 at 8:53 am

        I have never had to copy anything for a 90 day report. Just fill out the form and hand it over with my passport.

  5. Torben Retboll on May 20, 2015 at 10:46 am

    In most cases a visa and a work permit are only valid for one year. But the Thai government has promised to extend them both to 2 years. When will this promise be fulfilled by Thai immigration?

    • Richard Barrow on May 20, 2015 at 1:33 pm

      Don’t believe everything you read in newspapers. Or anything for that matter, that comes out of politicians mouths. It’s not happening until it actually happens!

  6. Torben Retboll on May 20, 2015 at 1:25 pm

    A visa should not be a stamp in a passport. A visa should be issued as a small plastic card which could serve as a Thai ID for expats living in Thailand. When will Thai immigration start issuing a visa as a plastic card? The department of land transport can issue a driver’s license as a plastic card. When will Thai immigration use a similar method?

    • geomark on May 21, 2015 at 8:56 am

      Every country I have visited that requied a visa from me put it in my passport, either as a stamp or a sheet pasted in. What countries issue a plastic card for visas?

      • Richard Barrow on May 21, 2015 at 9:23 am

        For exapts, it is a nice idea to be able to have some form of ID so that we don’t need to carry our passports around all the time. Though for myself, the driver’s license seems to work. Even on domestic flights.

      • Torben Retboll on May 21, 2015 at 6:51 pm

        A visa to stay and a permit to work is issued as a one combined plastic card to foreigners in Denmark. First time it is valid for about one year. Second time for 2 or 3 years. Thailand should do the same.

  7. Torben Retboll on May 20, 2015 at 11:08 pm

    Excuse me. I think the whole idea of this thread is that I (and other readers) can ask questions and you will take them to Thai immigration so we might an answer from them. The idea is not that a question should be brushed aside by you with a remark like: “Don’t believe everything you read in the press.”

    • Richard Barrow on May 21, 2015 at 7:09 am

      Thanks for your comment. My reply was from my own experience of reading things in the newspapers that were later denied as true. Every time I post my drone photos, people say, “but I thought drones were banned”. Newspapers sometimes get the wrong end of the stick and they often report speculation as fact. Politicians are also to blame as they often speak out loud without thinking first. Anyway, back to your original question, it was about national policy. That could only be answered by the Immigration chief in Bangkok. My contact is in my local Immigration office. He may have an opinion on it, but he wouldn’t be authorized to speak publicly on it. Which is why these questions need to be about visas and visa renewals only. Thanks again for your comment.

  8. Gaia on May 21, 2015 at 10:20 am

    Hello, I recently had to request a new passport from the Italian embassy, as my old one ran out pages. I am not currently on any visa (just the 30 days tourist exemption). I’m wondering if I can leave the country without getting the stamp transferred onto my new passport (which would involve a trip to immigration), but simply by showing my old (now invalid passport), together with my new one. I also have a letter from the Italian embassy that I could show to the border official at the airport. Thanks!

    • Richard Barrow on May 21, 2015 at 10:25 am

      To be clear, has your old passport with the stamp been cancelled yet? I know with my British passport I had to literally cancel it myself by cutting off the corner. On a side note for others, visas are no longer allowed to be transferred from old to new passports. For example, if you are on a one year Non B visa and you still have six months left when you got the new passport, you have to submit all the documents again as if you are applying for an extension for the first time. This means you lose those six months. So, time getting your new passport so nothing is wasted.

      • Gaia on May 21, 2015 at 11:07 am

        Yes, my old passport has been cancelled and I don’t currently have a visa. My question is whether I can exit the country by showing my old passport with the entry stamp on it, or whether I need to go to immigration to somehow get it transferred onto my new passport? Thanks!

        • Richard Barrow on May 21, 2015 at 12:41 pm

          The answer is slightly complicated. As your old passport is cancelled, you have to return to the Immigration office where you received the visa exemption/visa. They will then transfer to your new passport. The reasoning is that they have your records. The exception to this, is if you arrived at one of the international airports in Thailand. For example, you flew into Phuket and are now in Bangkok. It is unreasonable to expect you to return all the way to Phuket. The six international airports are: Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hat Yai and Chiang Rai. You then need to go to the Immigration office in the area of your residence. For example, if you are in Bangkok, then go to Chaeng Wattana. If you are just north in Nonthaburi, you then need to go to that office.

          I hope that answers your question. Once you have done it, please post back here your experience.

      • Steve on June 11, 2015 at 9:30 am

        If your passport expires then you are right, they won’t transfer stamps as they now only give a visa up to the date of the passport expiry.

        If, however, your passport is renewed prior to its expiry, for example because it is full, and you have a full year’s visa/extension of stay, then they will transfer the stamps provided you have a letter from your Embassy confirming that your original passport is being replaced by the new passport.

  9. Chris on June 11, 2015 at 10:38 am

    Online 90 day reporting, so easy. You loose the form, just do a reprint.

  10. daniel on June 19, 2015 at 6:49 pm

    Question for immigration:

    Is it (legally) possible to retire in Thailand without a permanent Thai address? I prefer staying in hotels and do not want to rent/buy a condo as i like the freedom to move about without the worry of security/cleaning/utility bills etc.

    • Richard Barrow on June 19, 2015 at 8:30 pm

      Will you be staying in the same province/area? The reason I am asking is that to do the renewal the following year you would need to visit the same office as they have all of your records. Obviously you can move, but you would need to inform them by registering your new address.

  11. yu on October 8, 2015 at 2:08 pm

    Can you please confirm that you can fill out a new departure form on the spot at Suvarnabhumi airport if you have misplaced the one they gave on arrival? or do you have to go to Chaengwattana for a new form? thanks

  12. ian on December 3, 2015 at 4:47 pm

    UK citizen
    Misplaced my departure section of my 30 day pass.
    Any ideas on what to do??

    • Richard Barrow on December 4, 2015 at 7:26 am

      You mean departure card? Do exactly as I noted above in the blog.

      • Tony on February 11, 2016 at 3:53 pm

        Why do you need to file a report at the local police station? Is this not something that can be looked up at the airport? I’ve been hearing different solutions to losing your arrival/departure card.

        • Richard Barrow on February 11, 2016 at 10:19 pm

          The best tip is to photocopy or at least write down the departure card number. But, by filing police report, it just makes it official that you lost it. I think this is mainly for people who work here and who have to go to Immigration every year to extend their stay. For tourists, I am sure you can get away with it by just going to the airport and saying you lost it.

        • ian on February 12, 2016 at 12:15 am

          I did not need to do anything like what was said..
          At departure I asked for a new one..filled it in and it was accepted freely.

          There were lots of people in the same boat…all sorted free of charge.

          The scaremongering of reporting it to the police etc I found to be an exaggeration

  13. Nyi Nyi lwin on April 20, 2017 at 8:58 am

    I am working in Thai.Now I have lost my departure card.What should I do now.Please give me advice

Leave a Reply